TPC Sawgrass, the home of THE PLAYERS Championship is among one of the most distinctly challenging courses in the game. Over the past two decades, this tournament has grown both physically and as an overall spectator experience. The course and THE PLAYERS Championship have undergone many changes since its inaugural event in 1974. The most recent changes were the 2016 renovations that have only made the course that much harder for players.
Here are some little-known facts that you may not know:
- Pete Dye was the designer of the famous 17th hole at TPC Sawgrass and his wife, Alice, was the mastermind behind the idea of the Island Green.
- Only six golfers have won THE PLAYERS Championship more than once: Fred Couples, Steve Elkington, Hal Sutton, Davis Love III, Tiger Woods and Jack Nicklaus. Nicklaus is the only player to have won the championship three times.
- There have been more winners of THE PLAYERS Championship from the United States than any other country, with 29 wins.
- THE PLAYERS Championship does not have a “title” sponsor, unlike most PGA Tour events and brings a uniqueness to the tournament.
- THE PLAYERS Championship offers complimentary admission to active military duty, reserve, retirees, and their dependents. Hats off to them!
- The tournament has been held at TPC Sawgrass since 1982. However, before that it was held at the Atlanta Country Club in 1974, Colonial Country Club in Texas in 1975, Inverrary Country Club’s East Course in 1976, and Sawgrass Country Club’s East/West nines from 1977-1981.
- THE PLAYERS Championship was moved from late March to early May initially to provide better playing conditions and to avoid competition with the men’s NCAA basketball tournament. It is being moved back to March for the 2019 season.
- TPC Sawgrass’ stadium course, was the first course to have specially constructed spectator mounds to give fans unobstructed views of the action on the course.
- THE PLAYERS Championship was originally named the Tournament Players Championship when Tour players and the PGA Club were one organization. Up until 2007 the course was named TPC at Sawgrass and around the time the course dropped the “at” from their name, THE PLAYERS Championship was born.
- In 1982, Jerry Pate won the Tournament Players Championship, the first one held at TPC Sawgrass, and celebrated by throwing Pete Dye, the course designer, and Deane Berman, PGA Tour Chief, into the lake beside the 18th He then took a dive himself, what a celebration!
Find Out More Fun Facts at the 2019 PLAYERS Championship
As the Official Ticket Package Provider for THE PLAYERS Championship®, THE PLAYERS Experiences offers access like no other. With options like THE PLAYERS Club with a premium open bar and unbeatable, gourmet food, you can’t go wrong.
No matter the size of your group, we will make sure the trip is one to remember and all-inclusive from the start. Check out ticket package options below or give us a call 844.883.4803 to start planning your trip to TPC Sawgrass this March!